Thursday, April 3, 2014

Battling Reluctance

So yesterday, while I was more excited than usual to write some more substance into my paper, I still delayed as much as possible in working on it. I used all sorts of things to postpone actually writing sentences. I don't know why I find it so hard to begin writing. But once I did, I was able to get a whole page down (woo! 3-4 more to go today!) so that's decent progress for me. From the ridiculous battle against my reluctance to write,  I did manage to find one tactic that did helped me just get going: doing a 5 minute free write completely disconnected with my paper. So as I head into today, I'm going to do another free write, and then just get going. If I need some sources to back me up, I'll be in the library so I can easily access that as I go. But what works for y'all in getting yourself to finally write?

4 comments:

  1. Such a good idea to get the writing flowing! I wish I'd given this advice to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love doing the free write. I sit down and get my writing brain going in a no-stakes kind of way, and sometimes it will start becoming my paper and when that happens I just hit Enter to separate them and keep on writing! I also like to drink a glass of chocolate milk, but I don't know that that has much to do with the actual writing process :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woops, I accidentally deleted that! Thanks Professor Burton! And Kate-I will definitely have to try the chocolate milk idea haha

    ReplyDelete