Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Some Current Thoughts about Morrie

My first thesis statement (or "tweethis," as we affectionately call it) was a bit of a bust. The feedback I got from people was lukewarm at best. So the other day, I really put my mind to the task. What is it that I love about Tuesdays with Morrie? Why is it interesting? Why do I always come back to it, over and over again?

I considered that part of the reason I fell in love with Morrie Schwartz, the man the story centers around, is his loving, parental guidance. I started to consider if there were any Morries in my life--people that guide me and love me and direct me when I wander. Of course, I have many Morries. My parents, neighbors, friends, and sometimes even my younger siblings all serve as guides for me. I think that if there are so many Morries in my life, I can reasonably assume that there are other Morries out there, especially in literature.

Key passages:
  • “So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.” 
  • “Well, for one thing, the culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. We're teaching the wrong things. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn't work, don't buy it. Create your own. Most people can't do it.” 
Analysis:
  • There are many guiding forces in people's lives, and most of them have one or more Morrie-like quality. Kindness, goodness, thoughtful advice, and honest opinions. I've considered different ways Morrie displays these qualities, and how Mitch Albom represents them in his work. Much of Morrie's advice reflects these ideals, and there are many stories from Morrie's life that help illustrate his character. Being better acquainted with Morrie's quality will help me relate him more closely with other characters.
Summary:
  • Right now, I'm working under the assumption that I'll be comparing Morrie to other characters from works of literature to see what similar qualities they possess. I'll make a special point to include some characters from Alice in Wonderland, perhaps the Mock Turtle or the Caterpillar. They don't possess all of Morrie's great qualities, but many of the characters possess partial bits and pieces of Morrie's characteristics.

No comments:

Post a Comment