Friday, March 7, 2014

So it begins...

This is my working thesis. Currently it's simply a compilation of my ideas, in a way that hopefully makes some sense. Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The growth of the modern personification of Death can be traced back through the centuries, helping to create the unique narrator of The Book Thief. Not only do these personifications form Death, as a narrator, but the various themes of death, such as those seen in Alice in Wonderland, add to the creation of Death in The Book Thief.


I plan to circulate this on Facebook. 

5 comments:

  1. You should ask Adam Burton about death as a narrator from other novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I like where you are going with your thesis. I think if you specifically state and describe what the "modern personification of death" is and how the various themes of death add to its creation, it would be a stronger thesis. But that will come once you start really digging into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will pay you money to include Death from Supernatural. Or Death from the Marvel Universe.
    i'm only kidding.
    But seriously, I am interested to see what you do with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Death, the unbeatable opponent... unless you are some kind of crazy hero that dives into the underworld, or some other version, to bring your love back.

    Anyway, I am very curious about themes of death in AIW. Can you give me some examples?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently I'm just thinking about the Queen of Hearts, you know, "Off with her head!' She brings the theme of death in, but doesn't actually act on it (which is probably a good thing, since so many children read Alice in Wonderland).

      Delete