Friday, March 7, 2014

I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

I don't know about everyone else, but I really do not like sharing my work with just anybody.

My sister Lauren. She's a genius. Trust me.
I have a hard time sharing my ideas with people who aren't close to me. I guess I care too much about what they think and I'm afraid they won't pick up what I'm putting down. There's just something about pouring my soul over a page and then not having it be appreciated that crushes a little part of me. It's something that I have had to overcome recently because I've been required to share my ideas in order to meet class requirements. One thing that has helped me is to be selective with whom I share my work. There are a few people who I really trust because they understand where I am coming from and they aren't afraid to push me to be better. I respect their opinions so much because they are thoughtful, intelligent people. They've been a source of great help for me in the past couple of years.

The smartest person I know is my sister Lauren. She is a genius. Trust me. She also understands me like few people do. We were really close growing up because we're only a year apart. I was always a year ahead of her in school until I took two years off and she jumped ahead of me one year. She's been my number one source of help since I returned to school and I am very grateful for her.



Another person who I admire very much for her work ethic and intuition is my friend Darian. She is one of the nicest people I know, but she's not afraid to tell me what she thinks, either. She is a convert to the Church since last November and this is her first year at BYU. She's in the Nursing Program so that just gives you a little indication of how smart and hard working she is. She has been one of my best friends and a person I can trust. At any rate, I reluctantly decided to let her read some of my work for a creative writing class and I was surprised at how much she helped me. Her perspective is very unique and interesting, something that I can benefit from.

I usually don't share my work with my parents, but sometimes they know what's up. Seriously, I probably don't give them enough credit for how smart they are. If I ever need another source of help or insight, my parents are always willing to pitch in their thoughts. I'm happy to use them because they offer an interesting perspective that I couldn't find from my peers. I'm proud to consider them my "homies."

Once I've shared my thoughts and ideas with this selective group of my "homies," I feel more confident when sharing them with others. They are useful sources of help because they give me constructive feedback that I can respect and rely on.

No comments:

Post a Comment