Friday, March 7, 2014

Picture-books and Language

The Lord of the Rings trilogy is replete with descriptive language that creates new lands, languages, and creatures. Alice in Wonderland relies less on descriptive language and more on illustrations to help the reader interact with the setting and characters. I want to juxtapose the two styles, descriptive language and illustrations, in order to make a claim that Alice, and other books with illustrations, are children's books and don't promote imaginative thinking.

Any ideas on how I could enrich this argument, or change it to be more compelling?

2 comments:

  1. So I found an essay that compares Alice and The Hobbit!!! It is called "The inner consistency of reality": intermediacy in the Hobbit by Nicholas Birns. I skimmed over it and it presents some interesting comparisons between the two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely going to check this out. Thank you!

      Delete