Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sources are the hardest thing for me to choose

Well, I said it. I actually enjoy writing papers and I enjoy using sources to establish a paper. However, I have a very passionate dislike for finding the sources. I like sending the time searching for a source, but I hate feeling let down when a source isn't what I originally thought or if a source that I desperately need is unavailable in one form or another. That being said, here is my working annotated bibliography.




Davis, Steven. Causal Theories of Mind: Action, Knowledge, Memory, Perception, and
Reference. Berlin: W. De Gruyter, 1983. Print.

I think this is an interesting source because it describes the influences of knowledge and memory on actions, as well as the correlation between motives and actions. I think this would help on a paper about Dracula because Jonathan Harker focuses a lot on memories and knowledge—something that this book focuses on as well. I can also apply it Alice in Wonderland because Alice has a hard time distinguishing that which is real from that which is not. The possible reason for this could be that there is a disconnect between knowledge and memory for her.


Naylor, Andrew. Synthese , Vol. 55, No. 2, Justification and Empirical Knowledge, Parts III and
IV (May, 1983) , pp. 269-286

This text works to explain what memory is and the correlation between memory and knowledge, as well as how the two are distinct. This goes along with my theme of knowledge and memory and I can relate it to Victorian literature, namely Dracula and Alice in Wonderland.


Pascale M. J. Engel De Abreu, Engel De, Marina L. Puglisi, Anabela Cruz-Santos, Debora M.
Befi-Lopes, and Romain Martin. "Effects of Impoverished Environmental Conditions on
Working Memory Performance." Memory (2014): 223-31. Print.

I think this is an interesting article because it discusses how nutrition can affect memory. I could apply this to when Jonathan Harker was a guest of the count and how his lack of proper nutrition could have played games with his memory. I can also apply it to Alice’s nutrition in Wonderland. She eats strange cakes and drinks potions without batting an eye, which could have affected how she remembered reality.


Müller, Johannes, et al. Memory Before Modernity : Practices Of Memory In Early Modern
Europe. Leiden: Brill, 2013. eBook Collection (EBSCOhost). Web. 27 Feb. 2014.

This source describes how man’s perception of memory has changed between modern and pre-modern times in Europe. I think it would be interesting to use because Dracula was said to be a very old man, so I could discuss how his perception of memory has changed. I can also apply this to Victorian literature and possibly understand the fascination with psychology.


(CP). "Professor thrives on eerie tales." Toronto Star (Canada) 22 Mar. 1986: Newspaper
Source. Web. 27 Feb. 2014.

I think this is a useful source because I could use it to go in a different direction than memory. This article explains a professor’s borderline obsession with scary stories, but then also asks why humans are intrigued about scary, unrealistic things as well. Both stories play with unrealistic and, at times, disturbing tales and they were both written in the Victorian era. Coincidence? I think not.


Thomas, Jane. Victorian Literature: From 1830 to 1900. London: Bloomsbury, 1994. Print.

This is a more basic guide to Victorian literature in general. From it, I can assess more fully the goals of Victorian literature by applying it to Alice in Wonderland and Dracula.
 

Purchase, Sean. Key Concepts in Victorian Literature. Basingstoke: Palgrave
Macmillan, 2006. Print.

This source has many general terms used in Victorian literature. It also has close readings of several different pieces of Victorian literature. By understanding these terms, as well as seeing them applied to different pieces of literature, I can more fully understand how to apply them to both pieces of Victorian literature that I’m comparing.


Morse, David. High Victorian Culture. New York: New York Univ., 1993. Print.

In this source, Morse discusses Victorian culture between 1837 and 1877. This would allow me to understand the world in which Carroll and Stoker lived, as well as the time that the stories were published.


Muskovits, Eszter. "The Chthonic Realm of Our Psyche: Mythic and Moral Aspects of Dracula’s
Nature." Interlitteraria 16 (2011): 308-24. Web. 23 Mar. 2014.

This source analyzes the morality of Dracula’s actions. I think it would be interesting to compare the difference of morals in Dracula and Alice in Wonderland.


McWade, Chris. "Bram Stoker’s Dracula as Saviour: Nietzschean Reading." Journal of Literary
Studies 29.4 (2013): 36-57. EBSCO. Web. 23 Mar. 2014.

I think this is an interesting article because as I was thinking about reality or even morality, I thought that I could probably find some quotes by Nietzsche that would fit. (I studied him a bit in high school and although I don’t agree with everything he said, I do find it interesting.)

No comments:

Post a Comment