Monday, April 7, 2014

Two Outlets for a Paper on Faulkner

I am still very interested in submitting my paper to the BYU English Symposium. After attending, I know that it would be a great way for me to start small and learn how to present my ideas to a group of peers and professors. The English Symposium also accepts a wide variety of papers, which will give me a lot of freedom with what I want to say in my paper.

However, I also found a call for papers for May 1st. It is the Southern Writers/Southern Writing Graduate Student Conference located in Mississippi. The graduate students are putting on this conference and calling critical and creative works focused primarily on Southern writers. If I submit my paper to this conference, I will have to focus more on the Southern nature of As I Lay Dying and how that affects Faulkner's portrayal of the family. The conference is on the 17th-19th of June. I think this would be a good way to focus my writing.

...

I just saw Kate's comment on my most recent post, and she gave me a great outlet for my paper that I hadn't found yet! It's the CFP Faulkner and Print Culture Conference, and submissions are due in January. I will definitely be considering how I can tie my paper into one of the topics suggested in the information for this conference! Thanks, Kate!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you have a lot of options! That's great. I am curious though; are you planning on redirecting your writing a little bit so that you can submit it to the Southern Writers? Do you think it would be worth it? I'm trying to make a similar decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I was deciding on whether or not I would alter my paper, I decided to just let it become what it would naturally become. It's not very focused on the fact that it's a Southern novel, although I do mention it a few times in my paper. But I'm okay with that, because I think it's more important that I'm invested in my topic. It'll be a better paper that way.

      Delete