Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Thousand Splendid Words

Well, it's been a journey.  A journey of a thousand splendid hours, sources, and words to get to where I am now.  And here's the final draft of my paper, titled A Thousand Splendid Suns and Sons.

I always knew that I wanted to write about Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns.  While I am not a strong advocate for feminism in America (simply because I feel that feminists should work on getting other countries to where we are now in regards to women's rights) I am a strong advocate for feminism in the Middle East.  I remember the first time I had heard that it is legal and encouraged to kill a female family member for "dishonoring" your family--such as having a baby out of wedlock.  I was appalled, and all of the sudden, advancing feminist agendas in America didn't seem that important when there are still areas in the world where they can kill their daughters for having sex--legally kill their daughters--without a trial.  It's absolutely wrong.  And there is no way to make it ever seem right.

A Thousand Splendid Suns and my essay on it is the perfect outlet for my emotions and feelings.  And I hope that it feels like I poured my heart into this essay, because I honestly tried to.  I ended up submitting my essay to the Awl, an online New York based journal that publishes hot-topic submissions.

No comments:

Post a Comment