Thursday, April 17, 2014

How to Richard, A Literary Journey

So, where should I start?

First of all, my process for anything is never the same, but very particular.  Even though things are always different for me, there are certain patterns I go through.  Call it something obsessive, or maybe even compulsive, but my writing is like my drawing.  All of my art is like each other.  As in drawing, I will erase
over and over and over and over and over again.  There is something about not getting something just the way I want it that bugs me.

This isn't to say my writing is perfect, but I liked this paper.  It actually would have been a much better paper to go with for some kind of dissertation or something... that way I could fully explore every single relationship, and how they relate to literature through different stories.  Granted, I am kind of happy with the page requirement.


Anyway, there was a lot of random research, most of which seemed kind of odd to me.  All the while I was scared that I was focusing too much on themes, but I did stick to my central ideas involving plot, and characterization.  If there was one thing I know I could have improved, it would have been to have found a better way to say stuff about the episodic nature of the stories, and how that inexplicably related to the idea of nothing mattering.

By the way, I hate forced research.  I love it when it comes naturally, but it is hard to get into research when I have to, but I was okay with studying stuff in the 20s, not so okay with studying the Victorian Era.  The Victorian Era is just so dull to me.

My research evolved to include talking to different professors, fans of literature, and overall nice people.

There were a few ideas that were shot down, and I got mixed reactions to my paper.  The very rough rough draft was rejected by Morgan, but Kimberlee liked the basic idea.  So I tried to tweak it a bit, and came up with a paper that I could stand by.

No comments:

Post a Comment